Thank you for applying to be on Big Brother. Please read the following carefully before sending in your application form. By submitting your application form you agree to abide by the rules and conditions set out below. Please note any application form returned without an accompanying VHS will be discarded.
A group of people, who have never met before, will live in a house with cameras watching their every move around the clock, there are even infra-red cameras in the bedrooms. Viewers can watch events in the house on television and live on the internet and E4. While they are in the house the participants will have no contact with the outside world - no telephones, television, radio or newspapers.
Every week one person will be ejected from the house. The participants themselves will nominate two of their group for eviction, with viewers making the final decision on who will leave the house. Eventually one person will emerge as the winner and will receive a cash prize.
If you want to apply these are some of the things you need to know:
1. YOU MUST BE OVER 18 TO APPLY.
2. You must be a permanent resident in the UK.
3. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Channel 4 or Endemol Entertainment UK, and/or any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and the immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or members of their households are not eligible to be contestants on Big Brother or participate in this application process.
4. If you know, or have ever known any employees of Channel 4 or Endemol you must state this on your application form. This will not automatically disqualify you from taking part as a contestant on Big Brother, but it is important that you inform us.
5. No one will be excluded from taking part in Big Brother on the grounds of race, religion, disability or sexual orientation. We are looking for the best possible group of people regardless of their background.
6. Send us your completed application form with a recent photo and a 1-2 minute long video on VHS by Friday February 8th 2002. We will not consider any applications returned without a video.
· The video should tell us who you are and why you should be on Big Brother.
· If you haven’t got a camcorder don’t give up. Ask friends, family, work colleagues and anyone else you know to see if you can borrow one.
· The video should be on VHS. Please don’t send in Mini-DV, Hi-8, 8mm or VHS-C. To transfer the other formats to VHS, simply connect the camcorder to a video recorder and record onto a VHS tape.
· Label the spine of the video tape clearly with your full name (not just the box).
· Please send the VHS with your application form.
7. Send your completed application to: Big Brother, PO Box 4040, London W14 0ZW
8. We will be unable to return photographs and videos, so do get a copy made of anything you want to keep.
9. Please also write your full name on the back of your photograph.
10. Applications received without both a photograph and VHS will not be considered.
11. All application forms must be returned by FRIDAY FEBRUARY 8th 2002.
12. If we want to know more about you we’ll invite you to a REGIONAL SELECTION DAY. We will only be able to contact those who have been chosen to attend the regional selection days.
13. Please don’t call or email the Big Brother production office if you haven’t heard anything from us. It’s not that we’re unfriendly, it’s just that with the best will in the world we can’t talk to everyone, but we will look at every single application form and video we receive.
14. Due to the high level of interest we expect to receive, we will not be able to reimburse applicants for the cost of travel to and from the regional selection days.
15. If you get through the regional auditions you’ll need to be available for further rounds of interviews and phone conversations before any final offers are made of places in Big Brother.
16. If you get through to the next stage you’ll be required to undergo psychological and medical screening to make sure that the experience of being in Big Brother is something you can handle without harming yourself, or others, physically or psychologically.
17. A team of mental health professionals will oversee both the selection process and the psychological well-being of the participants while they are in the house.
18. We’ll also need to check your medical and police records if you’re shortlisted. Having a police record will not automatically disqualify you from consideration, but any decisions made will be entirely at the discretion of Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment.
19. If chosen to take part in Big Brother you will need to be available for a ten week period in the summer of 2002. In this period the occupants will stay in the house day and night until they are evicted. Interruption of this stay is not possible. You will need to be completely available during this period.
20. Once candidates have been selected to take part in the Big Brother project they must not talk to the media (tv, radio, newspapers, magazines, internet etc) without the prior written agreement of Endemol Entertainment UK. We reserve the right to withdraw the offer to take part from anyone who fails to comply with this rule.
21. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE USE OF YOUR DATA
Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK (the production company) will ensure that any information provided for the purpose of producing Big Brother will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. All information will be kept secure and treated as confidential. Any disclosures of information will only be made with your permission. You have the right of access to the information held and used by Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK. By submitting the application form, you are consenting to the use of your personal information (including information about your religious and political beliefs, sexual orientation and health data) by Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK for the purpose of producing Big Brother. We will not publish your address or contact details.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I applied last year but didn’t get on. Does that rule me out this time?
No. We’re looking for a completely new and different group so you may be just what we’re looking for this year. We will be looking at all the applications we receive with a completely fresh eye, so don’t be put off.
2. How will I know if I have made it to the next round?
We will notify you if we’d like you to come to a Regional Selection Day in February/March 2002. We are not able to answer individual enquiries about the selection process because of the volume of applications expected. Interviews will be held throughout the UK and you will be responsible for any travel expenses you incur.
3. What about the cost of travelling to the auditions?
Due to the large numbers involved, we will not be able to reimburse applicants for the cost of travel to and from the regional selection days. We will try, as far as possible, to book you in to an audition near to your home. If you get through to the final stage of interviews round-trip economy travel between London and your home (provided that it is in the UK) will be reimbursed. The cost must be agreed with the production team in advance and a receipt presented before you can be reimbursed.
4. What type of contestant are you looking for?
We’re not looking for one particular type of person, and in particular we don’t want to copy the groups that were in previous series of Big Brother. We’re looking for a cross-section of interesting people. The most important thing in the application form and video is to show us who you really are.
5. If I’m chosen to be in the Big Brother house is EVERYTHING filmed and recorded?
There are cameras in every room recording pictures and sound 24 hours a day. Every person in the house has to wear radio mikes at all times while they’re awake.
6. What if I go into the house and then want to leave?
Everyone enters the house of his or her own free will and is free to leave at any time. Once an occupant leaves, for whatever reason, there is NO return under any circumstances. Also once someone leaves the house, for whatever reason, they forfeit any right to the prize money.
7. I can't afford to take ten weeks off work. If I am chosen to take part will I be paid?
The winner will get a cash prize. All the house-mates will get a basic subsistence allowance while they are in the house. This will be a flat fee for everyone and is not tied to an individual’s loss of earnings.
Details concerning the rules and format of may be subject to change. A full set of the Big Brother house rules will be given to successful candidates before they enter the house.
Big Brother Application Form
This application form is long and detailed so that we can get a good idea about you and whether you would be a suitable housemate. Please read carefully the accompanying “Big Brother - information for applicants” before completing the form. Please answer all questions on the form fully and honestly. Please make sure that your answers are legible. You will automatically be disqualified from the selection process if it is discovered that you have deliberately been untruthful or withheld relevant information.
First of all, please circle the location that would be most convenient for you to attend an interview:
LONDON BIRMINGHAM <------ MANCHESTER EDINBURGH NEWCASTLE BRISTOL BELFAST
I could attend an interview on: Weekdays Weekends Evenings Any time <--------
First name(s): Mark Surname: Smith
Age: 24 Height: 6'
Please state whether you are: Male <--- Female
Daytime phone number: 07XXXXXXXXX
Mobile phone number: same
Home phone number: same
E-mail address: none
Address: hopefully the Big Brother house
Are you: In a relationship Co-habiting/Married
Single <----- Divorced/separated
A bit of both Widowed
No one will be excluded from taking part in Big Brother on the grounds of race, religion, disability or sexual orientation. It would help us with our monitoring process if you would complete the following:
Are you: Gay Straight <----- Bi-sexual I’d rather not answer this question
Please tick the box which most closely fits your ethnic origin:
White - UK/Irish <----- Black - Caribbean
White - European Black - African
White - Other Black - Other
Any other ethnic group, please state:
Do you have any children? If so, what ages are they?
What do your friends call you? A moaning cunt most of the time.....
Are you currently employed? YES <---- not sure for how long though NO
If yes, please tell us what you do (Job title and name and address of employer - we will not contact your employer without your knowledge and permission):
Im a work shy fop. I take things that work and break them.
Employment history (Please state very briefly the jobs you have held since leaving school or college):
Loads and loads of jobs.
School(s) attended (secondary only):
Qualifications gained (GCSE/O level, A level, degree, HND, NVQ etc ):
Have you been to college/further education? YES <---- NO
Name of college/university attended and subject(s) studied:
Oldham (fly by night) College
Tell us a bit more about you
Complete the sentence in no more than 30 words - I want to be in the next series of Big Brother because…I think I would make for riveting television, lets face it, every other Big Brother series has been shite. And I reckon I could make everyone else in the house suffer a mental breakdown within a fortnight.
Describe your personality in no more than 30 words:
Im a cunt
What qualities do you feel you would bring to the house?
Knowledge of the 80s, my strong hatred and opinions on everything
What might people dislike about you?
You want a list? You'd be here a long time......
Have you got any skills or hobbies that might be interesting or relevant?
Write the headline you’d least like to see about yourself and the one you’d most like to see about yourself if you’re in the house.
Mark caught in sofa shagging incident. and the same.
What is your favourite film of all time?
What is your favourite book of all time?
Willow the Wisp
What is your favourite song?
Agado by Black Lace
Where do you buy your clothes?
If money was no object where would you like to buy your clothes?
I'd go naked.
If someone made a film about your life, who would play the lead role?
Me or Bubba Smith
What is your greatest ambition?
To kill Geri Haliwell
What is your greatest fear?
That she'll have a long career
What is your greatest/proudest achievement?
Making a friends girlfriend cry.
What’s your idea of a great night/day out?
You’ll be in the house for up to 9 weeks with no contact with the outside world. Which members of your family and friends would you miss most and why?
I'd be ok.
What things (not people) would you miss most?
My Hong Kong Phoey finger puppet.
Who or what would you miss least and why?
My Captain Caveman finger puppet, because the craftmanship is appaling
What do you think would be the best thing that could happen to you if you’re on Big Brother?
I'd drive all the other residents to suicide
What do you think would be the worst thing that could happen to you if you’re on Big Brother?
I'd fail with the above
What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said or done?
What is the worst thing you've ever said to someone and why?
Every sylabul that passes my lips is laced with hatred for all of mankind
What makes you laugh?
the pop industry
What is the greatest disappointment or sadness you've had in your life so far?
The fact that Hear Say have had some success
Have you got any bad habits? What are they?
Please complete the following sentence. The way I live my life is……
a fucking joke
Use five words to describe your life now:
Alive, breathing, living, here, concious
Use five words to describe your childhood:
younger, small, little, childhood, kid
If you could have a famous person (alive or dead) as your mother or father who would it be and why?
Leanord Nimoy and William Shatner.
Describe your parents:
Dad : Invisible.
Mother: 5' 6? white? eyes x 2
Who has been the biggest influence on your life so far, and why?
Are you still reading this bollocks?
Why do you think people would want to watch you for nine weeks?
God Im bored
What do you think it takes to win Big Brother?
If you won Big Brother what would you like to do after you left the house?
I wouldn't leave.
Have you ever been on television or radio before? Yes <---- No
If you have been on television before it won’t exclude you from consideration. Tell us what the programme(s) were and the date/year:
Great American Adventure Theme Park advert.
Health & lifestyle
Do you smoke? Yes No <---- If yes, how many per day?
Have you had any health problems or received any medical treatment in the past three years? (This will not exclude you from consideration):
Have you ever had any contact with any mental health professional (counsellor, psychotherapist, psychologist, psychiatrist) (This will not exclude you from consideration)?
Do you consider yourself to have a disability? Yes No <-----
If you do have a disability is there anything we can do to make our screening and selection process more accessible to you? (For example, you may require wheelchair access if called for an interview)
Is there anything else we should know about you?
Please read, sign and date the following statement:
I hereby acknowledge and undertake to Endemol Entertainment UK plc ("the Producers") that in consideration of the Producers agreeing to consider this application:
i. I have read, and I meet and agree to be bound by, the conditions set out in the accompanying document “Big Brother - information for applicants”;
ii. I have answered all of the questions on the application form fully, honestly and accurately and I confirm I have not misled or attempted to mislead the Producers in any way as to my identity, experiences or in any other way;
iii. If any of the information I have given in the application form is found to be false, the Producers will be entitled to exclude me from the Big Brother participant selection process;
iv. If I am shortlisted by the Producers I am prepared to undergo psychological and medical screening. I understand that the full details of this will be explained to me in advance.
v. If am shortlisted I also agree to authorise the Producers to conduct background checks in order to verify any of the information I have supplied and I agree to provide them with any assistance or further information necessary to do this.
vi. Even if I am selected as a participant, the Producers have no obligation to produce the programme and even if the programme is made there will be no obligation on the producers or any broadcaster to broadcast it.
vii. All decisions by the Producers concerning selection of the participants are final and I agree not to challenge or appeal against those decisions;
viii. I hereby grant to the Producers (and its licensees and assigns) all necessary rights and consents for the full period of copyright (and afterwards so far as possible in perpetuity) to copy edit and/or use at their sole discretion the video which I am submitting as part of my application for the purposes of making selling promoting using and authorising the use in any way and in any media of the television programme provisionally known as Big Brother (Series 3) and any other programme or promotional material connected with it. I confirm that I own and can grant all rights in the video. I also agree that the Producers shall be free to assign or license their rights in the video or in any programme in which the video is included without my prior consent and that I shall not be entitled to injunct or restrain the transmission or use of the video or any programme referred to above which includes the video (or any part of it). I also hereby irrevocably and unconditionally waive any so-called "moral rights" in the video or any such programme (as set out in section 77 and section 80 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 or otherwise) as I now have or may acquire in relation to the video or such programme
ix. I will keep strictly confidential and will not without the prior written consent of the Producers at any time from the date I sign this application form and for twelve (12) months following the first transmission on television in the United Kingdom of the final episode of Big Brother Series 3 disclose publish or reveal to any person any incident conversation or information concerning the series or the application/selection process which comes to my knowledge as a result of my inclusion in the participant selection process and/or the Big Brother programme, if selected, nor other information relating to the Producers, Channel 4 or the Big Brother programme acquired by me during this period other than information already in the public domain.
Signed …………………………………………………………………… Date ………………………..
Name (please print) ………………………………………………………………………………………
Please send you completed
application form, photograph and VHS to:
Please write the most convenient location for you to attend an audition (from the list above) on the top left hand corner of your envelope.
Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK (the production company) will ensure that any information provided for the purpose of producing Big Brother will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. All information will be kept secure and treated as confidential. Any disclosures of information will only be made with your permission. You have the right of access to the information held and used by Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK. By submitting this application form, you are consenting to the use of your personal information (including information about your religious and political beliefs, sexual orientation and health data) by Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK for the purpose of producing Big Brother. We will not publish your address or contact details.
Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK would like to retain the application forms of candidates for future related use when, for example, producing similar programmes (Please note that you may be contacted separately by either or both Channel 4 and Endemol Entertainment UK)
Please tick the box to indicate that you are happy for this to happen
If you do not consent to the future use of your information, your application forms will be destroyed once the selection process has been completed.
malevole home page